Abbeyfield History

abbeyfield-bermondseyAbbeyfield began in the London Borough of Bermondsey in 1956. Its founder was Major Carr-Gomm, who resigned his commission in the Coldstream Guards to start a non-profit society caring for lonely elderly in the East End of London.

Abbeyfield was the name of the street where the first volunteers met to establish the Abbeyfield House Society.

Abbeyfield Houses Society of Canada was established with the first House being built in Sidney, BC in 1987. There are currently 30 Canadian Societies and 30 Houses operating or under construction.

Abbeyfield International was incorporated in 1988 in response to the increasing number of inquiries from outside the United Kingdom. Aging populations in many countries are placing enormous financial pressure on their governments. Abbeyfield Houses, with their high level of volunteer help, keep accommodation costs affordable.

History of the Local Abbeyfield House Society in High River

High River Abbeyfield Society was established in February 1997 at a community information session presented by a representative of Abbeyfield Canada. Shirley Mann, who brought the concept to High River, became the Chair of the Steering Committee formed that evening. By November of 1997, the By-laws were filed with the Province of Alberta and the Society was formed.

Many active community members contributed thousands of hours to set up the society, find an appropriate site and raise the necessary funds to purchase the land.

On February 14th. 2005 the Town of High River approved and signed an offer forabbeyfield-highriver purchase

of land that became the site of the present Abbeyfield House at 708 – 2nd Street S.E.

Basement digging began on August 23rd. 2007 with construction by local tradesmen under the direction of Project Manager Roland Devenoge and assistant Mary McAlester with Gene Lobe assuming the role of Project Manager during the later stages of house construction.

A bright, well-appointed house was completed by November, 2008 allowing the first residents to move in. Full occupancy of 10 residents was achieved by May 2009.
ยป Read More.